The long-awaited launch of mobile Maryland sports betting occurred today a 9 a.m., with seven operators aiming to capture their share of the latest U.S. market to open up to online sports gambling.
Accompanying the curtain-raising were promotional enticements, such as free bets.
For instance, FanDuel Maryland sportsbook trumpeted its entry into the market with the following: “Bet $5 and get $200 in Free Bets for online customers. Sign up for the FanDuel Sportsbook and make a deposit of at least $10. Place your first bet of at least $5 and automatically receive $200 in sportsbook Free Bets. Customers can also Refer and Friend by inviting friends to join and both receive $100 in free bets.”
For those unfamiliar with sports wagering, FanDuel Sportsbook has an online betting guide.
Mobile Now Joins Retail in State
FanDuel already has been prominent in the state operating the retail sportsbook at Live! Casino & Hotel in Hanover. The Sports & Social sportsbook at Live! has been the top revenue retail sportsbook since it opened in December.
The seven mobile operators scheduled to launch Maryland sports apps today are:
• Barstool Sportsbook (operator for PENN Maryland/Hollywood Casino in Perryville)
• BetMGM (operator for BetMGM Maryland Sports/MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill)
• BetRivers (operator for Arundel Amusements/Bingo World in Brooklyn Park)
• Caesars Maryland Sportsbook (operator for CZR Maryland Mobile Opportunity/Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore)
• DraftKings (Crown MD Online Gaming)
• FanDuel (operator for PPE Maryland Mobile/Live! Casino and Hotel in Hanover)
• PointsBet (operator for Riverboat on the Potomac in Charles County)
“We’re excited to reach this milepost and have mobile wagering available to everyone with Thanksgiving Day football games coming up tomorrow,” said Maryland Lottery and Gaming Director John Martin. “But at the same time, this is only a milepost. There are additional mobile sports wagering entities in the pipeline, and our work is ongoing as we guide them across the finish line.”
Three other sportsbooks have been awarded licenses by the Maryland Sports Wagering Application Review Commission (SWARC) but weren’t ready to launch today. Those are:
- Betfred (operator for Long Shot’s in Frederick)
- BetParx (operator for Greenmount Station in Hampstead)
- Fanatics (operator for Maryland Stadium Sub/Washington Commanders in Landover).
Count on BetMaryland.com for Maryland sportsbook promotions.
A spokesperson for Maryland Lottery and Gaming said there had been no problems at the time this story was published.
You can be sure BetMaryland.com will monitor the action as it unfolds.