Online sports betting in Maryland took another step forward today as the state’s Lottery & Gaming Control Commission voted to find as qualified 10 applicants for Mobile Sports Wagering licenses and 10 applicants for Online Sports Wagering Operator licenses.
Unfortunately for eager bettors, that doesn’t mean that you will see functioning Maryland betting apps quite yet – but it is getting closer.
The approval process now shifts to the Sports Wagering Application Review Commission (SWARC), which determines applicant “suitability.” Assuming the SWARC does approve an applicant, that commission then “awards” a license. The SWARC’s next meeting is Nov. 21.
There’s one last step for sports betting companies. They must complete a final phase process for the Lottery & Gaming Control Agency, including a controlled demonstration of operations and procedures. Once that happens, licenses are issued.
If all goes smoothly, it is conceivable that online sports gambling could begin in late November, but early- or mid-December would appear more likely. At that point, Maryland NFL betting can commence.
As far as today’s approvals in two categories – “mobile sports wagering” and “online sports wagering operator” -- are concerned, applicants are paired in their operational plans.
It won’t be long now, for instance, until you see a Caesars Maryland promo code and those for other operators in the state.
Which Companies Now Move Forward
The applicants who were found to be qualified for licensing by “clear and convincing evidence” were:
For Mobile Sports Wagering Licenses:
- Arundel Amusements (Bingo World in Anne Arundel County)
- Crown MD Online Gaming LLC (DraftKings)
- CZR Maryland Mobile Opportunity LLC (Caesars Entertainment/Horseshoe Casino Baltimore)
- Greenmount OTB LLC (Greenmount OTB in Hampstead, Md.)
- Long Shot’s LLC (OTB in Frederick, Md.)
- Maryland Stadium Sub, LLC (Washington Commanders’ home stadium in Landover, Md., FedExField)
- MGM Maryland Sports LLC (BetMGM/MGM National Harbor)
- PENN Maryland OSB, LLC (PENN Entertainment/Hollywood Casino Perryville)
- PPE Maryland Mobile LLC (Live! Casino & Hotel)
- Riverboat on the Potomac (OTB at Colonial Beach, Va., but in Maryland waters)
For Online Sports Wagering Operator Licenses:
- American Wagering (Caesars Entertainment)
- Betfair (FanDuel Maryland, which has a sportsbook at Live! Casino & Hotel)
- BetFred (partnered with Long Shot’s)
- BetMGM Naryland
- Crown MD Online Gaming LLC (DraftKings Maryland, previously reported as partnered with the Maryland State Fairgrounds)
- FBG Enterprises Opco, LLC (fan gear company Fanatics, reportedly at the Commanders’ homefield)
- Parx Interactive Maryland Inc (Greenwood Racing, partner with Greenmount OTB)
- Penn Sports Interactive (PENN Entertainment)
- PointsBet (online company partnered with Riverboat on the Potomac)
- RSI MD LLC (Rush Street Interactive, partnered with Bingo World)
In addition, the state Lottery & Gaming Control Commission today found as qualified as an applicant for a Class B retail license: Long Shot’s Hagerstown LLC, which is associated with the Long Shot’s OTB in Frederick, which already is approved for a retail sportsbook license.
Eighth Retail Sportsbook Emerges
It also was announced today that Maryland will see its eighth retail sportsbook. It will open tomorrow, Oct. 28, at the Greenmount OTB in Hampstead, Md., in Carroll County.
Greenmount joins the retail sportsbooks already operating at five casinos, the bingo facility in Anne Arundel County and at The Riverboat on the Potomac.
Lottery & Gaming officials also mentioned that a retail sportsbook at FedExField should be ready to open in the next few months.
These developments, and much more on sports betting, are there for you to read at BetMaryland.com. The site also has the topMaryland sportsbook promo codes.