Maryland got its ninth mobile sports wagering sportsbook operator Thursday as the Maryland Lottery & Gaming Control Commission issued a license to SBOpco LLC, perhaps better known to its customers as SuperBook.
The SuperBook Maryland Sportsbook now becomes the ninth mobile operator in the state. Seven online sportsbooks started operations in November 2022 and an eighth, Betfred, joined in February.
More About SuperBook Maryland Sportsbook
Also, there is a recently opened SuperBook-branded sports lounge in the Warehouse at Orioles Park at Camden Yards.
There are no betting counters or wagering kiosks in the lounge but customers can bet on their mobile devices while enjoying food and drink and watching games on big-screen TVs.
List of Maryland Betting Apps
The other mobile Maryland sportsbook apps are:
- Barstool Sportsbook (operator for PENN Maryland/Hollywood Casino in Perryville)
- Betfred Sportsbook (operator for Long Shot’s in Frederick)
- BetMGM (operator for BetMGM Maryland Sports/MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill)
- BetRivers Maryland (operator for Arundel Amusements/Bingo World in Brooklyn Park)
- Caesars Sportsbook (operator for CZR Maryland Mobile Opportunity/Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore)
- DraftKings (Crown MD Online Gaming)
- FanDuel (operator for PPE Maryland Mobile/Live! Casino in Hanover)
- PointsBet (operator for Riverboat on the Potomac in Charles County)
SuperBook Does Controlled Demonstration
In the final step toward earning its mobile sports betting license, SuperBook successfully completed a controlled demonstration of its mobile sports wagering platform on Tuesday.
In a controlled demonstration, customers participate in live wagering as Maryland Lottery & Gaming staff monitor operations. Lottery & Gaming makes sure that the operator is complying with regulations and that systems are functioning appropriately.
In addition to the mobile operators, Maryland has 10 retail sportsbooks, from traditional in-casino books to sportsbooks that are operating in establishments that main offer food and beverages, plus perhaps OTB wagering. One retail sportsbook is even part of a bingo facility.
The retail sports wagering facilities in Maryland are:
- Bingo World in Brooklyn Park
- Greenmount Station in Hampstead
- Hollywood Casino in Perryville
- Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore
- Live! Casino in Hanover
- Long Shot’s in Frederick
- Maryland Stadium Sub at FedEx Field in Landover
- MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill
- Ocean Downs Casino in Berlin
- Riverboat on the Potomac in Charles County
In the most recent Maryland sports betting revenue report from the state, in March, the combined handle from all sports betting operations – mobile and retail – was $385.9 million. More than 95% of the handle was from mobile betting. The handle generated revenue of $35.4 million, a monthly record.
A single-month record of $5.3 million was the contribution to the state, with most of the money going toward education funding.